Sunday, September 28, 2008

What do you do?


When you meet someone new, one of the first questions you are asked is "What do you do"? I often have difficulty answering that, because my title doesn't reflect my actual job/workload. In actuality, I work in academic research maintaining the chaos and putting out fires. I am the go-to girl 60-70 hours a week (including Sundays and work from home). Do I like it? Usually. I thrive on stress, high energy and a fast pace. Do I love it? Far from it.

Luckily, I am one of those people who doesn't believe you have to love your job. It's just something you do.

Last week, I was talking to one of the Junior Professors in my research center. He was talking about his upcoming vacation and how his wife was demanding that he relax and refrain from answering emails and voicemails while he was away. He explained that tending to these things while he's away helps him to relax. If he didn't tend to these things, that would be all he thinks about. This made me realize that this job isn't something that he does... it is something that he is.

While I know I work too much and stress too much about my job, I have come to realize that I'm really lucky that it's just my job - and not who I am.

No comments: